Thursday 25 July 2013

Disney on Ice - 19/July/2013

During our July school holidays I took my parents for a visit down memory lane. I took them to see the latest installment in the Disney of Ice spectacular - Princesses & Heroes.

Why memory lane you ask? Well because I remember being about 5 or 6 years old and my parents taking my brother and I to see a similar spectacular (on ice) at the Perth Entertainment Centre.

I remember my brother, who would have been all of about 2 at the time, complaining and asking to go home because he was "bored". Well that boredom lasted until Goofy hit the ice - my brother was mesmerised - his hero was there, right there in front of him (he never said another word for the entire performance, just spellbound by Goofy and all his friends).

All of those memories flooded back when again Goofy made his appearance in this show. Admittedly it was a different story, with different characters, but the magic was still there and the capacity crowd thoroughly enjoyed this production.


I read an article a few days later - some journalist on one of those news sites was comparing Disney with the Elmo show (in town at the same time). They posed the question 
       "Which sent a better message to the children?"


WTF? (oops sorry! watch the language), but hey  thousands of children didn't beg and pester their parents to take them to a show because of a 'message'. They were there simply for the thrill and excitement of seeing their favourite storybook characters coming to 'life'. They were more interested in oohing and aahing at the characters skills on the ice and bringing the book pages alive.

Sometimes I think adults put too much pressure and expectations on children. Making judgement calls which have no meaning to children. Let children be children and let them enjoy it because way too soon they will lose that innocence and sheer wonder that is totally child-like.

Sorry rant over.......

But back to my night....... my favorite part of the show was when the dragon appeared on the ice and breathed fire....WOW!, that was awesome!. I was too busy enjoying the show to take many photos, however I did take a couple at the end (which I have posted).

Anyway my parents, my (22 year old) daughter and myself thoroughly enjoyed our night out and look forward to other adventures.....


No comments:

Post a Comment